Jerry Seinfeld once said, "The only difference between an interview and a date is that on a date you might end up naked at the end of it." Not only is this joke hilarious, but it illustrates just how quickly we can become all too comfortable in an interview.
The old adage that our mom's doled out over TV dinners and Tab, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't", is beyond significant. Since I am not a therapist, I am not going to delve into people's thoughts or actions, but what I can discuss is what not to say in interviews. No matter how much rapport you might build with your interviewer, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't". So listen to your mother unless of course she is Dina Lohan.
Here are 15 of the most negative comments I have heard in the last 15 years:
- I am looking for a rich husband. (When I asked, "what are you looking for?")
- I am not happy at my current company.
- I don't like my manager.
- My manager hates me.
- I work too many hours.
- I don't like my team.
- I can't find a job.
- I hate what I am doing.
- I want to use my degree, but nobody is hiring anyone with my major.
- I really want to be the president of the company after 2 years.
- I failed my last background check.
- I need to get my foot in the door.
- I need to move out of my parents' house.
- I am dating my boss and need a new job. (No, I didn't get this from "Bridget Jones Diary")
- I want more vacation time.
I understand that these reasons can be problematic to the person experiencing them. Honestly, who hasn't wanted more vacation or had someone they didn't like at work? Still, you don't need to say exactly what you are thinking especially on an interview.
There are always euphemisms that can explain what you are trying to share. For example, if you don't like your team...maybe say something like, "I am looking to work for a company that values great teams who like to collaborate".
In my humble opinion, if you are kind and positive in an interview, you can look at yourself and feel better about yourself even if you don't get the job. If you do say negative things in your next interview, it's time to have a TV dinner and some Tab because your mom was on to the something.
There are always euphemisms that can explain what you are trying to share. For example, if you don't like your team...maybe say something like, "I am looking to work for a company that values great teams who like to collaborate".
In my humble opinion, if you are kind and positive in an interview, you can look at yourself and feel better about yourself even if you don't get the job. If you do say negative things in your next interview, it's time to have a TV dinner and some Tab because your mom was on to the something.

No comments:
Post a Comment