Monday, June 16, 2014

Ring a ding ding: How to have a successful phone interview



"Ruff Ruff, hello?" was how I was introduced to a candidate a few years ago.  When you have a phone interview, make sure Fido and any other background noise is reserved for other calls.  With the need for more virtual employees these days, phone interviews are more prolific than ever.  You are probably thinking that phone interviews are more informal than being face to face.  But they aren't.  Sometimes they replace in person interviews too. So, make sure you prepare yourself and that the environment you'll be in is as quiet as possible and professional.

I had a candidate who was excellent for the job and when I phone interviewed him, he was professional and had no background noise.  However, when he interviewed with the hiring manager, he didn't get the job because his dog barked incessantly throughout the interview. In addition to background noise, please be mindful of your phone connection.  If you have a temperamental cell phone, use a land line to be safe.  We all know that technology likes to fail us at the most opportune times, but don't let it be during your phone interview.  Once I interviewed for a Recruiting Manager job while on a NYC bus and the hiring manager interviewing me was so annoyed with my phone connection and told me so.  That was my fault as I should have taken that phone interview more seriously.  I offered to reschedule, but the damage was done and alas I didn't get the job.

If you get caught off guard when someone calls you for an immediate phone interview, it's okay to ask to hold on and move to a better line or location so you have a quiet background.  Also, feel free to ask to schedule another time so you are prepared and in a better location. I suggest you dress up for your phone interview too so you feel more professional.  Also, stand up while on a phone interview because your voice will sound better.  The blood flows better so you think faster on your feet.  I can't tell you how many times I have spoken to candidates who sounded hung over early in the morning.  It's unacceptable to sound that way unless of course you are interviewing for Budweiser, but even then that probably wouldn't work either.  So get up much earlier if you have a early call so your voice sounds alert.

Instead of checking out the latest Amazon deals during your interview, keep your resume in front of you.  A hard copy is best so you can take notes while you are being asked questions about specific jobs you have held and your responsibilities from each one.  Do not research the company while on the phone interviewing. Your interviewer will be able to hear you typing and surfing the web.  Be prepared and treat your phone interview just like an in person one.  Just think the next time you hear your Coldplay ringtone, it could be the call that leads to your dream job.




No comments:

Post a Comment