Applications...could they be anymore cumbersome? As I say in my best Chandler Bing voice. You just want to upload your résumé and it get parsed into the necessary categories. It probably feels like filling out those medical forms when you are visiting a doctor for the first time. It's easy to make mistakes when filling out applications because they are confusing like the last episode of The Sopranos. So read those pesky things as much as you need to just so you're clear.
I can't tell you how many times I've read applications and a résumé hasn't been attached. How could you not attach the one document needed to find a job? It's like Derek Jeter not bringing his glove to a game. You can't forget certain things because they don't allow you in the game.
Since we are talking, I suggest having perfect grammar and spelling on your online application. Again, not doing things like spell and grammar check are further deal breakers. Nobody wants to hire anyone who can't use spell check. Notice I didn't say spell. If you can't spell, Mr. Gates has made all of our lives easier so you need to use these tools so your application is perfect. Capice?
Now you need to make sure your application is noticed and read. How do you get HR to see your application? I'm sorry but bribes are out. No matter how much chocolate I have received over the years, it doesn't get your application noticed. It's your networking and perseverance that gets your application noticed not the Godiva you're sending. We can't receive gifts. So be creative in your communication to recruiters and hiring managers.
Even before you apply to your dream job, it's time to get social and find out the key stakeholders in the hiring process. Networking is what the next article will be about. So to be continued...
I'm totally craving chocolate now. I hope I can find some miscellaneous Easter Cadbury eggs. And don't worry they weren't a gift...
No comments:
Post a Comment