Monday, May 26, 2014
Don't forget to hope during your job search.
On this Memorial Day, as we honor all of the sacrifices our troops and their families have made, I remember how important it is to have hope. The name of this blog is Fall Seven, Get Up Eight because in order to find your dream job, you must persevere. But without hope, tenacity cannot exist. In one of the best movies of all time, "Shawshank Redemption", there's a quote about hope that illustrates how omnipotent it is.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies." This is said by the character Andy Dufresne who continues to have hope over decades of false imprisonment. We have to hope. I hope that war ends and Memorial Day doesn't have to be about future casualties. There are so many things to be grateful for even as we hope for more. For example, I am so lucky that I can write this blog freely and not be killed because I'm a woman expressing myself. But I digress as this is about you.
In order to find the career you want, a positive attitude is key. And no, I'm not going to start repeating mantras at this time. When you receive an email or call that you didn't get the dream job you've been coveting, everything is copacetic because you're meant to get another job. Sometimes if you have a job that's not your dream job, think of it as a stepping stone. Still keep the hope that you will get your dream job. If you're at a job that's an interloper, ask for additional responsibilities and learn as much as you can. This will prepare you for the big kahuna that you're hoping for. Just having hope that you're getting your dream job unfortunately isn't enough. You still need to research the stakeholders in charge of hiring and network a lot.
As we fire up the grill today, let's all hope collectively for a better tomorrow. You have all this week to job search. And I truly hope you find your dream job soon. In the meantime, do you want a burger or hot dog at your BBQ tonight?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment