With all the tragedies of the past week, it's the loss of Robin Williams that upset me the most. I pondered why. I don't know if it's because nobody made me laugh harder consistently throughout my life or because his character John Keating in "Dead Poets Society" was based on a teacher at Detroit Country Day where Mr. Williams went that was a stones throw from my childhood home or because I identified with his character of sweet alien Mork even asking for his rainbow suspenders for my birthday or that his characters taught me that it was ok to be different than most. I actually cried when I learned of his death this week. I have never done that as I didn't even know him. I'm not someone who is obsessed with celebrities but he wasn't just a celebrity to me. He was an artist and true creator of characters that evoked empathy and warmth that echoed with us. When his character in "Dead Poets Society" teaches his students Carpe Diem that resonated within me the understanding that we all must do things we enjoy, be with people who love us rather than tolerate us and live like today's our last. I know this is a career advice blog but nothing is more important than making it all count. If you don't have a career you love, do what you love away from work. Spend time with those you love. Sing in your church choir. Volunteer on a kibbutz in Israel. Write a blog on a topic you enjoy. Cook rich and indulgent foods. Learn about delicious wines and visit vineyards.
Whatever the reasons that caused Robin Williams' death isn't what I'm concentrating on because it's in his life that we can learn from. The over $8 million he raised performing comedy on HBO's Comic Relief for the homeless and the USO tours helping entertain the military and paying for some of his friend Christopher Reeves' medical expenses illustrated how he sucked the marrow out of his life. Even with an Oscar and a four decades long admirable acting and comedic career, he did what he loved in his work and by helping others. No matter where you are in your career, do what you love and be with who you love. Suck the marrow out of life and try to seize each day.
Just retired from a job I had grown to dislike pretty strongly. I now have the world at my feet. Your words will help remind me to take advantage and indulge in hobbies I had no time for, extra volunteering for my passions and just taking an unhurried bike ride.
ReplyDelete