Monday, September 15, 2014
15 Worst Things to Say in an Interview: Part 2
People say there are two constants in life: death and taxes. I want to amend that to death, taxes and daily "Law and Order" marathons. I love that I can always binge on hours of witty comebacks, murder mysteries, IMDB guest stars and NYC architecture. And, anytime "The Godfather" marathon comes on television, I can't turn away from that either. There are very few sequels that are better than the first, but "The Godfather: Part II" and "Empire Strikes Back" are in my opinion better than their predecessors. So, after watching my husband's favorite movie this weekend aka "Empire...", I started thinking about a sequel to my article on the most negative comments I have heard in the last 15 years.
Just when I thought I had heard it all, along came this past summer and I have more negative comments to share. I completely realize that I am being ridiculously ambitious in my sequel comparisons because I could never create a sequel as brilliant as Francis Ford Coppola or George Lucas. If I can get one Retweet of this blog post, then I'm good for at least a month.
So here are the next 15 worst things to say in an interview:
1. Since it's a phone interview, I just had a couple of drinks.
2. Sorry, I just flushed.
3. I am interested in this job because my ex works for your company and I want to work with her.
4. A lot of companies want me right now.
5. What does your company do?
6. Does your company drug test?
7. I don't know Excel, but I know Word and Atari.
8. Can I get a corner office?
9. If I don't get this job I am going to cry.
10. I have heard bad things about your company. Are they true?
11. I like to travel to Florida. Is there any travel to Florida in this job?
12. Is the manager nice on this team?
13. Is it okay if I put this knife on your desk?
14. You have a strange last name. Where are you from?
15. I am not a morning person. Can this job start at 10 am?
I suggest not saying any of the aforementioned in an interview or ever in a social situation. It's better to be more conservative even if you feel comfortable with the person interviewing you. I hope this blog sequel will help you in your job search and if not, at least prompt you to check out De Niro speaking strictly in Italian in "The Godfather: Part II". Thanks for reading. Ciao.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Loved your sequel. As a fellow recruiter, I have a list of my own. Some I'm not sure I should repeat! It's always pure entertainment. Thanks again.
ReplyDelete